Thursday, July 7, 2016

What are you reading? - One & Only Ivan

I love the summertime – it’s a great opportunity to pause and pick from a wide range of literature to enjoy!  There is so much out there that I thought it would be fun to share what I’m reading in the hopes that it may inspire a new title for you to try or start a great dialogue of book sharing and recommendations.  If you’re reading something you want to share, I’d LOVE to hear from you!  Send me your quick book talk via email or mail at the contact information below so I can share it out with the rest of the Barrows School Community! (This can be for Barrows students, staff, or parents because we can all use a good book recommendation now and then!)
Happy reading!
Love, Mrs. Leonard


 Image result for the one and only ivan


I recently finished “The One and Only Ivan” by Katherine Applegate.  This book was written in 2012, received the Newbury Medal and was voted this year as MCBA book award recipient.  This story was a powerful tale told from the perspective of Ivan, a Silverback Gorilla and his life as a feature in a small side-show in a mall.  I found the story to be an interesting read that really made me empathize with Ivan and his animal and human acquaintances. It was that much more intriguing to learn that this story was based on a real-life Ivan who lived a similar situation to the story that is told.   (Check out more information here:  http://theoneandonlyivan.com/) I encourage you to check this story out, it’s a great read! (Don’t worry, if you want to wait until the fall for this one we have many copies in the Barrows library!)


Want to share what you’re reading?

Or mail me a letter/postcard:
Heather Leonard
16 Edgemont Ave
Reading, MA 01867


….hope to hear from you!

No comments:

Post a Comment