Friday, February 10, 2017

Typical Day of a Principal?

Wow, today was quite an adventure!


this picture is from earlier in the week - but same idea (& same size coffee!)
As I sit here trying to catch up on some emails, I was reflecting on this day... which as unplanned as much of it was for me, was what I would consider a "typical" day for a Principal.  The benefit (and sometimes challenge) of my job, is that the typical day-to-day routine of the job is there, but often my time is filled with the unplanned or unexpected.  Today was a great example of this, starting with a 2 hour delay, a short bit of subbing for the secretary, leading to some work ensuring all classrooms and meetings had appropriate coverage and supervision.





Not long after that I received a call to let me know we had a few cars stuck on Edgemont Ave., creating a bit of a back-up.  Outside I went to try to help direct traffic and move cars was unplanned, but fun nonetheless!  As I noted in the Starburst, I loved the fact that every car that drove by was filled with smiling and waving parents and students. This is such a positive and supportive community that takes challenges in stride - it's awesome!






I also had the opportunity to fill in and help cover for supervision at all of our lunches - both to support the students and also jumping behind the line to serve when the line got too backed up!



With that I could still squeeze in a couple of meetings and phone conferences.


Although a short day - it was a full day - and although today I wasn't able to get into all of our classrooms, it was a good reminder that there are other pieces of our learner's days that are important (and it was wonderful to see all of our students' faces during drop-off and during lunch!!)




So, a typical day?  Yes... but for Principals (and for many of us in education each day) a 'typical' day means flexibility, unexpected changes, and going with the flow... but always putting our students first.

Enjoy the weekend!
Love,
Mrs. Leonard


Our Twitter account:  https://twitter.com/BarrowsSchool  (you don't have to know how to tweet to check it out!)
Our school Facebook page:  www.facebook.com/BarrowsElementary
Check out our weekly Starburst:  https://www.smore.com/vza38

No comments:

Post a Comment