Reading Public Schools
Budget Parent Information Sheet
WHO Any parent who has children in the Reading Public Schools may become a budget parent. Representation will come from the following groups:
· Individual Schools
· High School Extracurricular (Athletics, Drama, Music)
· Special Education PAC
RESPONSIBILIITIES The budget parent responsibilities are as follows:
· Participate in meetings with the Superintendent of Schools and Assistant Superintendent for Finance and Administration from December-March to learn about the school department budget and the budget process.
· Work with the Superintendent and the Director of Finance and Operation to review, critique and give input on the budget and the budget process.
· Understand how the budget process works and be an advocate for the entire school department budget
· Act as a liaison between the school department and their child’s school by reporting back to other parents both formally (PTO and School Council meetings) and informally
· Attend School Committee meetings and other pertinent meetings during the budget deliberations in January, February, and March
WHEN Meetings will begin in late November/early December and will occur prior to School Committee meetings. The month of January is a busy month with one to two meetings per week. February and March will have two or three meetings.
The following School Committee meetings in January, February, and March are dedicated to the FY16 budget. The Budget parents will meet at 6:00 p.m. prior to these meetings.
January 8, 12, 15, 22, 26, 28 (Financial Forum)
March 18 (Finance Committee Meeting)
Please note that each budget parent does not have to attend every meeting. We would always like at least one representative from each school at each meeting.